Friday, January 15, 2010

PRELUDE

DATE: 15/1/10
TIME: 0130 HOURS
LOCATION: Dunedin Public Hospital, RMO lounge.

An odd time to be embarking on a BLOG of all things?! geez.. But this is not a spontaneous venture. In a way i'd been postponing the inevitable. But what follows is as spontaneous as it gets. As blogs should be I think.

No one particularly INSPIRED me to start a blog, though some friends had suggested it before. Infact, this concept is not at all new to me. I write in a journal, (A diary for all you sissies/ladies), which still houses some of my "moments of triumphs", and stories of appalling frustrations. But this blog will have none of that. It will be more matter of fact. Less narcissistic. And more diverse. It will be a good read.

So, I was just patrolling the corridors of the hospital I work in. Night duty you see. I just came down to the doctor's lounge after reviewing some patient who was bleeding from her nose for the last 45 minutes. It has stopped now, after I put some pressure across her nose and packed her right nostril with some nasal packing. "Thank you dear" she said. "Alright Mrs XXX, that should take care of it". On my way down, my eyes caught this piece of writing on a wall.

"Each moment of lived experience feels immediate and real. The present overflows our senses as we receive and respond through bodies, emotions and thoughts. The immediate moment has barely begun before it is replaced by another, each quickly becoming the past - a memory, or forgotten forever.

Most of the time it is hard to put a value on what you are doing. Difficult to say that one moment is more important than the next...... Those many many unremarkable moments, too numerous to mention and ever increasing are what make up a life, an occupation.....a work of art"

I could relate to that in more ways than one, I thought, as I took in the beautiful night view of Dunedin city in the background, from the 7th floor of the hospital...

So to give you a COMPLETE picture of who I am as a person, or what my life is like/has been like, I am afraid is beyond the capabilites of my brain. Because if I describe something now, I am pretty sure i wouldnt be able to relate to that fully in a years time. The human concept of SELF is very dynamic. And constantly changing in response to external and internal influences. We just have to use our sensibilites and our morals in equal measure, to hold on to some good things and get rid of some bad things, as we carry on. Hopefully there is some consistency and integrity years down the line, instead of hypocrisy :-)

So this blog will probably evolve, as I evolve. And freeze some moments in time for your reading pleasure and hopefully I enjoy it too.

7 comments:

  1. welcome to blogsphere!

    I could relate to that writing too. good one.

    "The human concept of SELF is very dynamic" - :) a reason why the 'about me' section in my blog is still blank.

    looking fwd to read your posts man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yei kumana, unakke ithellam puriyutha nee ezhuthinathu ellam??? periya complicated nu peethikiriya? RASCAL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! "The human concept of SELF is very dynamic. And constantly changing in response to external and internal influences." That's an interesting thought. Painting a complete picture of SELF is indeed impossible. Although, I do believe that if you describe something about yourself now, you may or may not relate to it in a year's time but you'll be able to see if you've changed/developed into someone else or if you've retained the same thoughts and ideas about something. Hope that made sense! Nice blog. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi pearls of life, thanks for your comment.
    yeah o'course it makes sense :)will visit your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kumz... Welcome to the world of blogging!!

    I wonder what actually prompted you to start at an 'odd' time of 0130 HRS!! And funny how you clarified that "no one particularly INSPIRED" you to start blogging...lol

    Interesting post indeed and I can certainly relate to that writing too. I guess it is pretty difficult for anyone to give a COMPLETE picture of themself, especially when each and every one of us are constantly learning from the experiences of 'LIFE'. Be it for the good or bad, for the better or worse, the human mind is ever evolving!!

    It is fair to say "The human concept of SELF is very dynamic. And constantly changing in response to external and internal influences". As we already know, change is inevitable and may or may not be controlled by us. So, what matters is how quickly we as humans are able to successfully adapt to those changes. Like you said, as we move forward in life, we hope to develop on the good things and not only leave behind the bad things but also learn from it for a better tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete