Friday, January 15, 2010

IDENTITY




This is a very complicated topic. But I have to say, is as spontaneous as my last entry was. In this blogpost,

I am not necessarily talking about MY own perceived "identity", but about the concept of identity overall.

I think most people ask themselves the question "Who am I?" at some point in time. Religion, language, nationality, political affiliation, political stand, ethnicity, caste (indians), economic background, job, gender and sexual orientation, food habit... so many parameters... Whats important?! What do I conserve? What do I pass on to the next generation?
Well, the obvious thing that stands out is that EVERYone can define themselves under ALL these categories. But the importance of each one varies between person to person. And varies with the context we are faced with at some point in time.


Human beings are very congregational by nature. It is in our evolution. They all want to relate to something. And derive comfort from the fact that there are people out there who think similarly. Talk similarly. Eat similarly. Worship similarly. They hate being isolated. It makes them uncomfortable. I sound like an evil condescending alien watching the  planet from the stratosphere and making all these comments with a sneer...

But its true you will agree. This is how most identities are formed and maintained - you need numbers. And consequently the creation of a collective, perceived comfort zone, that you define subconsciously as you grow up and  experience more of life.
And if numbers are not possible, a civilised supportive society that is conductive to the maintenance of an already conceived identity. that is conductive to the minority. and at the basic level, conductive to individuality.

I think having all these "identities" is awesome. But it is important that they remain as mutually exclusive as possible. Otherwise I think there is potential for people to get restricted to a microculture. This intrinsically is not conductive to individual  perception and action - the building blocks of self and societal improvement.

Haha what wishful thinking. I think I have pretty much defined utopia here.

Personally I can relate to far more things than what is considered average. Sometimes even conflicting ideas and identities. This is my gift. My curse. "Who am I?" I am spiderman. ahem ahem. I mean.... What an utterly pointless question. Get on with it mate.

6 comments:

  1. You are shocking kumana, really i cant stand reading your crap. why are you showing all this to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. vazhkaila neeyum munneru kurinji munneru.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice read! Conflicting ideas and identities are natural and as you have said, context dependent. Microcultures are inevitable because we get influenced by people who think similarly and whom we consider part of our 'society'. We all yearn for a sense-of-belonging and therefore are congregational by nature. True!

    One question I wanna pose is: "Why does one always hanker to know about their identity and purpose of life? Why can't we just live and let things be? Can we not continue to exist without a far-reaching aim, a long-term purpose, the purpose of life?" Surely it would be easier to live without thinking about all this and confusing yourself. Somehow, most people conclude that there is no purpose to this life because we are going to die one day anyway.

    I'd rather just see the purpose of the present, the most precious gift! If I am in the hospital, the purpose is to try and educate myself to become a good doctor. If I am reading this blog and jotting my ideas down, the purpose is to let you know that you've stirred a corner of my brain. lol. I am not making sense anymore so I better stop here. The purpose of life as a whole - is to live it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha good question. This is probably what I meant by the last line in this entry.
    BUT...The purpose of your life is the purpose you choose to give it. It is silly to say that there is no purpose in life. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought provoking post… You definitely got me thinking and asking several questions to myself… And yes, I have indeed asked myself the question ‘Who am I?’

    Obviously an ‘IDENTITY’ is conceived differently by each individual… But how many times have we seen or heard people refer to one or many of the parameters that you have quoted?? And how many times have people come up with a unique way to identify themselves?? But the most intriguing fact is how many of us really identify ourselves as “HUMANS”?? Isn’t that something we can pass on to next generation?? I guess it doesn’t really happen as often as the world would like to else we would not witness all that tension between people who are differentiated merely by their identity!!

    Pearls of life: Nice comment and good questions. I totally agree with your views. After all, what purpose in life than to live and live it to the fullest!!

    ReplyDelete