Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Music

When I was about 8 years old, I got signed up for a carnatic violin class. My teacher was a lovely person called Mohana akka. She used to come to our home in a rural town and teach me. Apparently, I was pretty good. Picked it up well. So I am told even now by her. Despite breaking the strings at least 10 times with my overenthusiastic approach. (It's not a good sound when you go hard on the violin).

But at that age, it will be fallacy to even contemplate that one can appreciate music for what it truly is. I certainly did not then. But it did not take me very long to understand that music is something that sets the human race apart. And something that binds us as a whole.

Music adds flavour to our thoughts, our moods, our perspectives. Its a really nice feeling when you find a piece of music that you like or relate to. It almost..... reinforces your state of mind to yourself. Validates it. Makes you LIVE it that bit more.

The first piece of music that I drew something from, was "Lose yourself" from the 8 mile sound track, released 2003. I still remember going for a run in my hostel treadmill, this song playing on the speakers from the radio.
"Look....If you had... one shot... one opportunity, to seize everything that you ve ever wanted...would you capture it.. or let it slip.."
2 weeks later was my first health sciences exam -  Chemistry113. I got 97%.
:-D Now, whether eminem had anything to do with that or not......without going into nostalgic details, that setting was far beyond challenging myself just academically...

There are some pieces of music, that would make you feel as if you can do anything you want to. Feel Powerful. Another such song was the title song from the hindi film Dum, which I happened to see in my second or third year of college. (Nothing too special about it... I just happen to like that song.)

Music is a powerful medium of expression. A good song is just as inspiring to a mass as a powerful speech. Looking back at history, many freedom movements have invariably used songs and music to convey an idea, to inspire people, to instill patriotism, pride.
And what about religion. That most perplexing human creation. Whether I am cynical or not about religion, devotion to God, can be no better conveyed than through music. This is universal. I have been to several catholic masses, where songs in praise of Jesus Christ are seriously the best aspect of them.  But, this is especially so in the hindu religion. I dont need to give examples, but carnatic music and folk music are basically part and parcel of the worshipping rituals of South India. Aspects of my culture, that certainly invoke fondness...

And last but not the least, I am going to feel free to deliberately leave out discussing music being a medium of expression and communication of love. Because this post will then turn to custard ;-)

 Having never been a music performer myself, I had a few opportunities in my university and intern years to perform. Being in New Zealand, music was the easiest and most entertaining way to share the rich subcontinental culture with people from different backgrounds. For which I am most grateful, and I hope I get other opportunities.

This is hardly a sophisticated post. The impact of music in human culture cannot be summarised in a blog. May be in a particularly good PhD thesis. So having gabbed on, how lucky are we to live in an age, where good music is so easily accessible. But is there any substitute to catching a tune unexpectedly from someone singing to themselves. Unaware and oblivious to who was listening. Imperfect, incomplete but beautiful nonetheless...

I think not mate... I think not.

7 comments:

  1. I reckon MUSIC is an integral part of our life and speaks a different language, a language beyond culture, race, religion, etc... Music can make or break our emotional state and definitely contributes to our emotional balance... Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' track is awesome! I could just listen to it over and over and never get bored...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumanan, a well-written post!! Music is indeed divine and it is what gives unending pleasure to the soul...Everyone who can relate to music speak the same language. It is a language beyond words, an emotion beyond tears, a breath-taking art...last but not the least, a hobby beyond cricket :P just kidding...i know cricket is like 'the' sport our Indians play and follow!!! all in all, I completely second your opinion that there's no substitute :D

    Gans: Yep, music affects your emotional fragility deeply! Lose yourself in it and you'll gain yourself back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey guys,
    thanks for your inputs :)

    gans: yeah man, one of a few decent hip hop songs around. im sick of dudes singing about "honeys in thongs" and "brothers in bentleys"

    pearls: thanks. you sound like some one has deeply scarred you with their cricket talk constantly. hehehe. the only way to counter that is to get into another sport yourself and talk about that constantly. try rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K,

    I type this comment listening to Suzanne's beautiful voice in "Hosanna". Music - it's God gift to humans really. Maybe that's why one doesnt need to know anything about meejic to actually enjoy it. Just need an open mind and ear(s).

    Man, I love this song.

    "Hosanna…yen meedhu anbu kolla..
    Hosanna…yennodu serndhu sella..
    Hosanna…Hmm yendru sollu podhum..
    Hosanna…"

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^ hey bro,
    thats a good thought. very correct.
    I mean,. like any other aspect of "culture", music too will have evolved from simple unstructured rhymes to formal structured music with rules, thalam, raagam etc..
    but the inherent capacity to appreciate it is indeed something to feel thankful for.

    lovely album machi. thamarai lyrics.
    "yaen ithayam udaithai norungave
    yen maru ithayam tharuven nee udaikave."

    paavam da aana naanga ellam ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. true. when u know/understand the intracasies and nuances in music, u appreciate it much better

    "paavam da aana naanga ellam ;) lol". yennaiyum sethuko machi. paavam...namba ellam! :)

    Sriram

    ReplyDelete